Manufactured by Arredoluce, 1952
Lacquered metal and nickel
H. 165 cm
Angelo Lelli (1911-1979), both an industrialist and a designer, designed his first lamps, which he made in his cellar in 1943. In 1947 he founded Arredoluce in Monza, and participated to the Triennale of Milan with a three-arm adjustable lamp which became world famous as the Triennale. The watchword of the firm: a high level of quality, resulting in reduced production. Designers as Gio Ponti, Mario Tedeschi and Ettore Sottsass worked for Arredoluce, precious materials as copper, marble, black lacquered aluminum, opaline were used.
The man is so mysterious, even secret, that one is not sure of the spelling of his name, even if the specialists lean towards Lelii. He has always hidden behind his company and his products.
Should Angelo Lelii’s creations be called lamps? The word sculpture seems more appropriate to his work. The range of shadows is a calculated and important element in all his works. As for the technique, the welds are almost invisible on his lamps, for which he was one of the first to use halogen bulbs, and created a long used switch. Its lamps sometimes had names, sometimes numbers, but most often nothing to designate them.